One way to be health-wise this winter is to make sure you have some over the counter remedies for common seasonal illnesses in your medicine cabinet.
Things to have in your medicine cabinet include:
- paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain relief (check the label or speak to your pharmacist to check it's suitable for you)
- anti-histamines to help allergies
- anti-diarrhoeals and oral rehydration sachets for diarrhoea
- indigestion remedies such as an antacid
- mild laxative for constipation
- a first aid kit
- medicines specifically for children (your pharmacist can advise on the most suitable ones to keep in the house)
Remember that medicines go out of date, so don't overstock your medicine cabinet. Always follow the advice on the pack, and if your symptoms persist (or are severe) seek further advice.
NHS Minor Ailment Service
If you have a minor illness, a pharmacist can provide non-prescription medicines free of charge if you're eligible under the NHS Minor Ailment Service.