Cycling World Championships 2023

Stay safe and healthy while attending the 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships

If you're visiting Scotland for the 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships, get advice on what to do if you become unwell during your stay.

2023 UCI Cycling World Championships

In the first event of its kind - never seen nor cycled before - the world’s greatest riders will come together in Glasgow and across Scotland. From 3 to 13 August 2023 athletes will compete at the highest level over 13 UCI World Championships

If you're visiting Scotland during this time and need healthcare, follow this advice.

What to do in an emergency

Immediate action required: Phone 999 or go to A&E if:

You or someone else is having a life-threatening emergency like:

  • a suspected heart attack
  • a suspected stroke
  • severe breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding
  • severe injury

Urgent care and minor injuries

Non-urgent advice: Phone 111 if you:

  • think you need to go to A&E but it's not life or limb threatening
  • need urgent care or assessment on issues like sprains, cuts and burns

NHS 24 will arrange urgent advice and assessment through the 111 service. They'll then ensure that you go to the best place of care for your health needs. This may involve:

  • a telephone or video consultation with a clinician
  • an appointment to attend an A&E or Minor Injuries Unit

You can use Language Line to access 111 if English isn't your first or preferred language. This is a free interpretation service.

Accessing healthcare

Healthcare for overseas visitors

If you're visiting Scotland, emergency treatment is free until you're stabilised.

It'll depend on your circumstances if you're eligible to get other free healthcare.

Further information on healthcare for overseas visitors

Healthcare for UK residents

If you're registered with a GP practice in the local area, contact them for your healthcare needs.

If you're not registered with a local GP practice, you can register as a temporary resident. This'll give you access to services.

Medicines or minor ailments

Pharmacies can help with:

  • common health problems like earache, indigestion and diarrhoea
  • minor ailments like aches and pains
  • questions about medicines

If you live in the UK, a pharmacy can help you get a repeat prescription or emergency supply if you run out. They can do this by contacting your own GP practice.

Self-help guide: Accessing medicines

Find out more about getting medicines when your supplies have run out.

Self-help guide: Accessing medicines

Sexual healthcare

Sandyford is a specialist sexual health service for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.

Sandyford Central Sexual Health clinic is open:

  • Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 7.20pm
  • Friday 8.30am to 4.20pm

To make an appointment at Sandyford:

Emergency contraception

Use this self-help guide to find out how to access emergency contraception.

Self-help guide: Emergency contraception