If you're visiting Edinburgh for the Fringe or international festivals, read our guide to getting help and treatment should you become unwell during your stay.

Medicines or minor ailments

Pharmacies can help with:

  • common health problems – such as coughs, colds, indigestion and diarrhoea
  • minor ailments – such as aches and pains
  • questions about medicines

Local pharmacies

Find your nearest pharmacy.
Find your nearest pharmacy

Self-help guide: Accessing medicines

​Find out more about getting medicines when your supplies have run out.
Self-help guide: Accessing medicines

Minor injuries

Minor Injuries Units (MIUs) can't help with illnesses, but can help to treat:

  • minor cuts and burns
  • wound infections
  • sprains
  • small bone breaks (from shoulder to fingers and knees to toes)


Minor injuries units

Find your nearest minor injuries unit.
A&Es and Minor Injuries Units

Sexual health care

Sexual health care

Find your nearest sexual health clinic
Sexual health clinics

Emergency contraception

Use our self-help guide to find out how to access emergency contraception.
Self-help guide: Emergency contraception

Help if you're unwell

If are ill and think you need to see a family doctor (GP) that day, you should first phone the nearest GP practice.

When the GP practice is closed (between 6.00pm and 8.00am, or at weekends) and you feel you can't wait until it re-opens, please call NHS 24 on 111. NHS 24 will organise an appointment with a doctor, if necessary.

In an emergency

Emergency dental treatment

See our information on emergency dental care.

Accident and emergency (A&E) departments

You should only go to A&E for urgent and emergency situations, and never as an alternative to visiting a GP. If the GP practice is closed and you are too ill to wait until it re-opens, phone NHS 24 on 111.


If at any time you think you need an emergency ambulance for a life-threatening condition, call 999.

NHS Lothian Festival Health

Visit the NHS Lothian website for more information keeping healthy during the Edinburgh festivals.
NHS Lothian: Festival health