If you're visiting Edinburgh for the Fringe or International festivals, read our guide to getting help and treatment should you become unwell during your stay.

Medicines or minor ailments

Pharmacies can help with:

  • common health problems – such as coughs, colds, indigestion and diarrhoea
  • minor ailments – such as aches and pains
  • questions about medicines

If you live in the UK and run out of repeat medication, a pharmacy may be able to help you get a prescription or emergency supply from your own GP practice.

Find your nearest pharmacy

Minor injuries

Minor Injuries Units (MIUs) can't help with illnesses, but can help to treat:

  • minor cuts and burns
  • wound infections
  • sprains
  • small bone breaks (from shoulder to fingers and knees to toes)

If you think you need treatment, visit the Minor Injuries Clinic at the Western General Hospital (closest entrance via Porterfield Road).

This clinic can help to treat adults and children over one year old, and is:

  • open every day from 8.00am to 9.00pm (no appointment necessary - last patient book-in is at 8.30pm)
  • staffed by specialist nurses, paramedics and physiotherapists

If you want to find out if they'll treat your injury before you visit, phone 0131 537 3481.

Find out more about the Western General Hospital Minor Injuries Clinic

Sexual health care

The Chalmers Centre can help with sexual health care and advice - including emergency contraception.

To book an appointment with a member of staff, phone 0131 536 1070 (Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 8.00pm, Friday 8.30am to 4pm).

Find out more about sexual health support in Edinburgh

Help if you're unwell

If are acutely ill and need contact with a doctor (GP) that day, you should first phone your nearest GP practice. If you can't get an appointment, phone 0131 667 3925.

There are a number of additional appointments available from the 4th to 28th August (Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm).

When the doctor's surgery is closed (between 6.00pm and 8.00am, or at weekends) and you feel you can't wait until it re-opens, please call NHS 24 on 111. NHS 24 will organise an appointment with a doctor, if necessary.

In an emergency

Emergency dental treatment

See the NHS 24 website for information on emergency dental care

Emergency eye treatment

Search "Edinburgh" on the NHS 24 website for information on emergency eye care

Accident and emergency (A&E) departments

You should only go to A&E for urgent and emergency situations, and never as an alternative to visiting a GP. If the GP practice is closed and you are too ill to wait until it re-opens, phone NHS 24 on 111.

In the Edinburgh area, there are A&E departments at the:

Find out more about when to visit A&E

If at any time you think you need an emergency ambulance for a life-threatening condition, call 999.

Check out our Summer Health campaign page for advice on how to keep cool in the Scottish sunshine.
Summer Health campaign page