Care Information Scotland (CIS) is a phone, webchat and website service providing information for carers and people in need of care in Scotland. If you're looking for advice or support, CIS can help.

How CIS can help

The aim of CIS is to help and guide people through the maze of care and support resources available and to ensure they've access to accurate and up to date information either for themselves, a relative or friend.

If you care for someone, you'll find our information about the support available to you particularly useful at this time of year.

Help from your local social care department

Looking after someone can be challenging if you don't take time out. It's important to find time for yourself, your family and friends, especially at this time of year.

If you're in need of a break from caring (called respite care) contact your local council social care department for help with arranging and paying for short breaks.

More about short breaks from caring

Help in the community

Carers centres are independent charities that offer practical support, advice and information for carers in your local area by phone or drop-in/outreach surgeries.

These centres can provide you with:

  • emotional support - you can talk with trained staff, volunteers and other carers who understand your situation
  • community consultation by giving carers a unified voice to have an impact on local, regional and national decision-making
  • activities for yourself - including time out from caring, breaks, relaxation therapies and the opportunity to enjoy your own social life
  • training on subjects like finding your way around the care system, protecting yourself from harm, stress or depression, and finding time and space for yourself

More about carers centres

Help if you work or study

Juggling work or studying with caring responsibilities can be challenging, tiring and stressful. Without the right support, many carers find it difficult to sustain their careers or studies.

You may not want to tell your employer or school/college/university about your caring responsibilities, but if you do, they may be flexible to your needs and offer you support.

Your employer or school/college/university should have a policy for supporting carers. You might find this information in a handbook or intranet, or you could ask your:

  • line manager
  • HR/personnel department
  • union or staff representative
  • faculty staff, teachers or lecturers

More about help for carers who work or study