UN Climate Change Conference

Stay safe and healthy while attending the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow

If you are visiting Glasgow for COP26, read our guide to getting help and treatment should you become unwell during your stay.

UN Climate Change Conference

Glasgow will host the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) from 31 October to 12 November 2021.

This event will bring together leaders and representatives from across the world to discuss and implement changes to tackle climate change.

If you are visiting Glasgow for COP26 and need healthcare during this time, follow our advice.

Accessing healthcare

Healthcare for overseas visitors

If you are visiting Glasgow for COP26, your eligibility to receive free healthcare will depend on your individual circumstances. However, access to emergency treatment is free until you are stabilised.

Find out more about healthcare for overseas visitors.

Healthcare for UK residents

If you are a UK resident and are registered with a general medical practice (GP practice) in the area then contact them for your healthcare needs.

If you are not registered with a local GP practice then you can register as a temporary resident to access primary care services.

Find out more about registering with a GP practice.


If you're concerned you might have symptoms of coronavirus, read our coronavirus advice. 

Self-help guide: Coronavirus symptoms

Find out more about your symptoms, when you can use self-care, and what to do if your condition worsens and you need medical help.

Self-help guide: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Medicines or minor ailments

Pharmacies can help with:

  • common health problems like earache, indigestion and diarrhoea
  • minor ailments like aches and pains
  • questions about medicines

If you live in the UK and run out of repeat medication, a pharmacy may be able to help you get a prescription or emergency supply from your own GP practice.

Find your nearest pharmacy

Self-help guide: Accessing medicines

Find out more about getting medicines when your supplies have run out.

Self-help guide: Accessing medicines

Urgent care and minor injuries

If you think you need to go to A&E but it's not life or limb threatening you should phone NHS 24 on 111. NHS 24 will direct you to the best place of care for your health needs.

NHS 24 can arrange for urgent advice and assessment. This may involve a telephone or video consultation with a clinician or being given an appointment to attend an A&E or Minor Injuries Unit (MIU), helping you avoid a long wait in a hospital waiting room.

If English isn't your first or preferred language, you can use the free interpretation service Language Line to access 111.

Non-urgent advice: Phone 111 if you:

  • think you need to go to A&E but it's not life or limb threatening
  • need urgent care or assessment on issues such as sprains, cuts and burns
  • have worsening symptoms of coronavirus

In an emergency

Emergency dental treatment

See our information on emergency dental care.

Accident and emergency (A&E) departments

In the Glasgow area, there are A&E departments at the:

Immediate action required: Phone 999 or go straight to A&E:

  • for life or limb-threatening emergencies.

This might include:

  • suspected heart attack or stroke
  • severe breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding
  • severe injury

Sexual healthcare

Sandyford provides a range of specialist sexual health services in Glasgow.

Sandyford Central Sexual Health clinic is open:

  • Monday to Thursday 8.00am to 8.00pm
  • Friday 8.00am to 5.00pm

To make an appointment at Sandyford, phone 0141 211 8130 or visit their website to make an online booking.

Emergency contraception

Use our self-help guide to find out how to access emergency contraception.

Self-help guide: Emergency contraception