Get vaccinated this winter
This winter we’re running 2 important vaccination programmes together. This means many frontline health and social care workers can have the flu vaccine and coronavirus (COVID-19) booster at the same appointment – one in each arm.
You will only be offered a COVID-19 booster at least 6 months after your second dose. So check the date of your second dose and count 6 months ahead, and book at a date when you can get both.
All NHS healthcare workers are eligible for flu vaccination.
Social care workers and independent contractors (GP, dental and optometry practices, community pharmacists) who regularly deliver direct personal care and treatment are eligible for flu vaccination. This includes housing support workers and personal assistants. You are eligible if you work in:
- residential care for adults
- residential care and secure care for children
- primary and community care settings and community clinics
- a person’s own home, in the community or daycare centre
All laboratory staff (working on COVID-19 testing) including support staff are also eligible.
We encourage you to get your flu vaccination before the start of December, especially if you are older or have underlying health issues.
Coronavirus booster vaccination
Frontline healthcare staff and social care workers aged 16 years and over are eligible for the COVID-19 booster vaccination. This includes:
- Healthcare staff and social care workers providing direct care and treatment, including those who have face-to-face contact and provide physical care or treatment.
- Non-clinical healthcare staff, including those who come into contact with the personal belongings, physical tissue or body fluids of patients, residents or clients. This also includes domestic staff, porters, catering, laundry and receptionists or ward clerks.
- Healthcare laboratory and pathology staff, including those who frequently handle SARS-CoV-2 or potentially infected items, for example, laboratory staff and those that handle items coming to the lab such as porters and lab receptionists.
- Social care staff in long-stay care facilities, including those who work in long-stay (over 8 weeks) residential and nursing care homes, for example, domestic staff, porters, catering, laundry and receptionists.
Frontline funeral operatives aged 16 years and over are also eligible for the COVID-19 booster vaccination.
This includes mortuary technicians and embalmers, and funeral director staff who:
- handle, assist in the removal of, or have direct contact with the deceased’s remains or personal belongings
- may routinely have close contact with the deceased within the funeral home setting
- routinely clean areas that come into direct contact with the deceased (for example surfaces where the deceased have been stored or otherwise handled), or private ambulances or similar vehicles used to transport the deceased
The booster dose can be offered any time at least 6 months after your second dose.
Wait to be contacted
Some health and social care staff should not book their vaccination appointments online. But wait to be contacted by local occupational health teams.
- all health and social care staff in the Dumfries and Galloway health board area
- health and social care staff directly employed by the Ayrshire and Arran health board and local authority
All other eligible health and social care staff in Ayrshire and Arran should book their vaccination online.
Book your vaccination online
Use the same username and password you set up for your first and second vaccine doses to either book an appointment or rearrange one that is too soon after your second dose.
If you're eligible for both the flu and COVID-19 booster vaccinations, you only need to book one appointment.
Help to register or book
You can book your appointment online or through the national vaccination helpline on 0800 030 8013.
If you can’t find a date, venue and time that suits, come back later as new clinics are being added daily.
Reschedule your appointment
If you have booked an appointment and the time or date no longer suits you, you can reschedule your appointment online.
You should log in as usual and click 'view appointment'. You will then be given the option to 'reschedule'.