If your application under the S2 route is approved, your treatment will be provided under the same conditions of care and payment that would apply to residents of the EEA country you'll be treated in.
There are some EEA countries where, like in the UK, healthcare is free at the point of delivery. This means an approved S2 will cover 100% of the costs of your healthcare and you won't have to pay any treatment costs.
In some EEA countries, however, patients cover a percentage of their state healthcare costs. For instance, a patient may need to cover 25% of the costs of their treatment and the state covers the other 75%. This means you could have to pay a percentage of the costs personally (co-payment charge). When receiving treatment under such a healthcare system, you'd be expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country.
For example, for an operation that costs £8,000, of which you're expected to pay a standard patient co-payment charge of 25%, you'll pay £2,000. The NHS will pay the remaining £6,000 to the healthcare provider treating you.
Travel and accommodation costs associated with treatment won't be paid for or reimbursed by the DWP or the NHS Board.
If you've used a co-payment for your treatment, you may be able to claim back some or all of your contribution when you return to Scotland. To apply for a refund of your contribution, you'll need to contact the Overseas Healthcare Team within the DWP on 0191 218 1999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org