Pharmacy services during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

With current public health advice around coronavirus, some services may:

  • not be available
  • be operating different opening times
  • be closed temporarily

We recommend that you contact the service prior to attending.

Find your nearest pharmacy

The NHS Minor Ailment Service is available at pharmacies across Scotland and can help you access healthcare advice about a minor illness or complaint and treatment, if necessary.

You can only use this service if you've registered with a community pharmacy in Scotland.

Who can use this service

  • People who're registered on permanent basis with a GP practice in Scotland
  • People who're registered with Defence Medical Services (the medical services of the air force, army and navy of the UK)

You can’t use this service if you live in a care or nursing home or if you're registered as a temporary resident with a GP practice in Scotland.

How it works

Once registered with the NHS Minor Ailments Service, you'll be able to get advice and treatment if your pharmacist thinks you need it.

How to access

Once registered, and you suffer from symptoms of a minor ailment, then you can contact the pharmacy where you are registered and have a consultation with the pharmacist. This replaces attending the GP practice for an appointment.

The pharmacist will provide advice on self-care, supply a suitable medication or refer you to your GP. In every case, you will be asked to sign a form to confirm that you accessed the service. The pharmacy staff should not sign this for you.


Your pharmacist can only supply certain medicines for this service.

Your pharmacist can also refer you to your GP or ask you to make an appointment if they feel they can't provide the best treatment for you.

How to register

You can register for the NHS Minor Ailment Service at any time, there's no need to book an appointment.

If you'd like to register other family members, a separate form will be completed for each person.

How to register

To register, your pharmacist will complete a form and will need to know:

  • your name
  • date of birth
  • address including postcode
  • your gender

You'll be asked to confirm that you can use the service and might have to provide proof of eligibility.

Once complete, your pharmacist will ask you to sign the form to confirm your registration declaration.

Cancelling your registration

You can cancel at any time by letting your pharmacist know you want to cancel.

They'll ask you to sign a withdrawal form and tell your doctor that you're no longer registered at their pharmacy.

Find a pharmacy with a Minor Ailments Service