Serious illness can cause significant changes to a household’s financial circumstances.
The following organisations can be contacted if you wish to discuss what financial help you may be entitled to:
Your local Social Work department.
Citizen’s Advice Scotland Tel: 0808 800 9060
Department of Work and Pensions
Information and advice is also provided on the Macmillan Cancer Support website or from the Macmillan Support Line 0808 808 00 00.
The following is a list of questions you may want to ask:
- What am I entitled to?
- When can I apply for benefits?
- How do I get benefits – who can I speak to?
- I need some advice about my debt
- Are there any grants or loans which I am able to access?
- What are the implications for my employment (salary protection, pensions)?
There are various charities which aim to provide support and information to people affected by illness, and, depending on your condition you may wish to check out one of the following websites: