Caring for a problem drinker

You have legal rights as a carer if you provide regular and substantial unpaid care for someone who may be entitled to community care services.

For example, you are entitled to a carer's assessment and may be entitled to carers' services (including breaks), whether or not the person you care for receives any services.

Carers who don't meet their local authority's criteria for getting support may still be able to get help from local voluntary services, such as Carers' Centres.

Your wellbeing

Being a carer is hard work and, with so much to do, it can be difficult to find quality time for yourself. Staying well and healthy increases your ability to look after someone.

But nobody can plan for every eventuality and we all get ill sometimes. Read about carers' breaks and respite care for advice on getting help with caring for someone and breaks from caring.

Getting help

Carers' Centres can help you get access to services and benefits through your local authority, and can give you information about other useful organisations.

Most carers have a legal right to an assessment of their needs. It's your chance to discuss the help you need with caring with your local authority's social services department.

Discuss what type of support will help you maintain your own health and enable you to balance caring with the other areas of your life, such as work and family.

Social services departments use the assessment to decide what help would be useful for you, although they're not legally bound to provide this support. But the support they may provide includes benefits, such as Carer's Allowance, and grants for breaks or to make caring easier.

The benefits system is complex. It's a good idea to get specialist advice about what you're entitled to and how to fill in any claim forms. Many alcohol support charities and carers' organisations can help.

Resources and support groups

  • Al-Anon Family Groups offer support to people affected by someone else's drinking. Around 800 groups meet weekly around the UK to offer understanding and encouragement, and share their experience of dealing with their common problem.
  • Adfam provides direct support to families through publications, training, prison visitors' centres, outreach work and information about local support services. The charity's website has information to help families deal with the problems they face.
  • Scottish Families Affected by Alcohol and Drugs (SFAD)  provides support to family members and friends who have been affected by the substance misuse of a relative or loved one, and raises awareness of the issues affecting them.
  • The Care Information Scotland website has information, advice and support for carers on all aspects of caring, from financial and legal issues to respite care and access to local services.
  • Carers Trust is the largest provider of carers' support services in the UK. Through its network of Carers Centres and websites, the trust provides information, advice and support services to 368,000 carers, including 20,000 young carers.