Coronavirus (COVID-19): Shielding

People on the shielding list should strictly follow physical distancing and hygiene measures.

Read the Scottish Government’s Coronavirus (COVID-19): shielding advice and support

If you were previously told to shield

Before the pandemic, clinicians advised some people to avoid doing certain things. This is because of their specific health condition or specific treatments. You should continue to follow any specific advice that your clinician provides. Examples include people who:

  • are waiting for a solid organ transplant
  • are having treatment for cancer or have recently completed treatment

Those awaiting a solid organ transplant should contact their transplant team to discuss whether specific recommendations should be in place for them, in addition to this updated advice.

People living in a residential care or nursing home

The advice for the general population does not apply to anyone living in a residential care or nursing home. 

For information about care homes, you can read:

Making choices about what it is safe to do

The Scottish Government has information to enable you to make informed choices about balancing risk with your health and daily activities including:

Protection levels

Guidance for people who were shielding is different depending on your protection level (tier).

Check the protection level of your area

Read the Scottish Government’s guidance on protection levels

Get a coronavirus test

Going to work

You can go to work if you cannot work from home.

Contact with others

At level 2, you should reduce the number of people or households you have face-to-face contact with. You should also avoid areas which allow physical distancing of only 1 metre.

At levels 1 and 0, you should follow the advice of the general population.


If you visit shops or supermarkets, you should strictly follow the guidelines when shopping. 

Text message (SMS) service

The Scottish Government continue to send updates through the SMS Shielding Service. Read the Scottish Government’s shielding advice and support to find out how to sign up to this service.

Coronavirus vaccine

The coronavirus vaccine does not cause a coronavirus infection. It helps to build up your immunity to the virus, so your body will fight it off more easily if it affects you. This can reduce your risk of developing coronavirus and make your symptoms milder if you do get it.

NHS Scotland strongly recommends you get the vaccine when offered it.

After you’ve had your vaccine, it’s important that you continue to follow the latest government advice.

Read further information about the coronavirus vaccine

Helpline for vulnerable people

A helpline (0800 111 4000) has been set up for those at increased risk who don’t have a support network, such as family or existing community support. 

Callers will be connected to their local authority who will help them access the services they need, such as:

  • essential food and medication
  • links to local social work services for vulnerable children or adults
  • emotional support
  • contact with local volunteer groups

The helpline is open from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Vitamin D

Everyone should consider taking a daily supplement of vitamin D. Taking a daily vitamin D supplement helps with bone and muscle health.

Read more about vitamin D on the Scottish Government’s shielding page.

Health and social care support

If you receive support from health and social care organisations, such as care support through your local authority, this will continue as normal.

Your health or social care provider will be asked to take additional precautions to make sure that you’re protected.

Looking after your wellbeing

Social isolation, reduction in physical activity, unpredictability and changes in routine can all contribute to increasing stress. Many people including those without existing mental health needs may feel anxious.

If you’re receiving services for your mental health, learning disability or autism and you’re worried about the impact of isolation, contact your keyworker, care coordinator or provider to review your care plan.

If you have additional needs please contact your key worker or care coordinator to develop a safety or crisis plan.

It’s important to stay mentally and physically active during this time.

Read further advice on your mental wellbeing

Further information