The Scottish government has made a pledge that every baby born in Scotland will be given their own Baby Box.
It will help families prepare for the arrival of their baby and contains essential items that you will need in the first 6 months.
What's in the Box?
Scotland's Baby Box is a safe and comfortable place for your baby to sleep and gives you some of the essentials for the early months of a new baby's life.
It includes things like:
- a mattress, fitted sheet and blanket that fit the box perfectly
- a selection of clothes from newborn up to the age of 6 months
- a bath towel, a travel changing mat, muslin cloth squares and a bib
- books, so you can start sharing stories together before your baby is born
- a digital ear thermometer for taking their temperature
- full safety instructions and safe sleeping guidelines
For a full list of what is inside the Baby Box visit the Parent Club website.
How to get a Baby Box
Every newborn baby born and living in Scotland can get a Baby Box.
When you're about 20 to 24 weeks pregnant, your midwife will fill in a Baby Box registration card with you at your regular antenatal appointment. You will receive your Baby Box about 4 weeks before your baby's due date.
Your Baby Box will be delivered to the preferred delivery address that you put on your registration card. You will get a text, an email or a letter a week before the delivery so that you will know the day the box will be arriving. Then on the day, you will get a time slot so you will know exactly when it’s coming. If it doesn't suit, you can arrange a different delivery date or location with the carrier.