Neil shares how long it took him to discover he had depression because he mainly had physical symptoms and felt he had no reason to be depressed. It was only when he started crying that his GP suggested it.
It's common for people to wave away concerns but, with mental health problems affecting 1 in 4 people each year [PDF], it can happen to anyone at any time in their life.
Read more from Mind about understanding what's happening to you.
If you don't know what's happening and you want someone to help you phone 111 and choose the mental health option.
- I wasn't expecting to feel as bad as I did
- It was a struggle to be open and honest
- I need to say something
- There is light at the end of the tunnel
- Deciding to ask for help
- Rolling with the punches
- You need to look after your mind
- To any man that's struggling